Alex Zhang, Accelerated MBA '10
Alex Zhang, Accelerated MBA 10

Monday, June 15, 2009

Alex Zhang

My career as a medicinal chemist started at Texas A & M University, where I carried out research on the mechanisms and treatment of Alzheimer's diseases. After receiving my Ph.D. degree, I joined a biotech start-up in to develop cancer-diagnosing DNA-chip technology. For the last seven plus years, I have focused on finding new therapies for cancer, diabetes and neurodegenerative diseases at Amgen San Francisco. These multidisciplinary projects have provided opportunities for me to learn both the science and the business of drug discovery. Finally, I decided my career had reached a point that I am ready to jump into an entrepreneurial endeavor. A well rounded business education will help me make it a smooth transition. The AMBA program at the Johnson School is a perfect fit.

Two weeks into this program, I have been overwhelmingly impressed by the School as well as my classmates. Although it is a challenge to fit all the activities and course work into a 16 hour-day, we did find time to get to know each other better, and managed to play two soccer matches (losers buy drinks the next Friday)! I look forward to enjoying the great outdoors and golf courses in the Finger Lake area during the summer.

One year is a short time. But there will be plenty of challenges and rewards. I am glad to share my experience with you in this space.