Alex Zhang, Accelerated MBA '10
Alex Zhang, Accelerated MBA 10

Friday, September 25, 2009

I am officially second year!

I am officially a second year! Back from the two-week summer break, I entered the hustling and bustling Sage Hall and couldn't help wondering "Is this the same quiet and leisurely Sage we spent the whole summer in?"

All my AMBA classmates are back tanned and relaxed. Some are sporting new hairdos for the upcoming corporate briefings and recruiting events. We exchanged stories of the Hamptons, the Cape and Miami. Michel spent two weeks on the beaches of Mallorca in Spain, and has the tan to prove it. A dozen of them came back early from their break to be facilitators of Johnson Outdoor Experience for first years. Hats off to them!!

It is very exciting to see some first years I first met at Destination Johnson back in April (wow, it feels like eons ago). I am glad they made the decision to come to Johnson. I first met Vivek at DJ, and now he is a fellow Johnson blogger! Randall sent out an email of the profile of the Class of 2011. They are an impressive group. I am proud to announce China is well represented in this class. This group of 12 brilliant and accomplished students more than doubled the number of last year's class.

I had a hard time deciding what courses I am taking. There are so many interesting electives taught by the outstanding faculty at the Johnson School. We also have the choice to dabble in thousands of courses available at Cornell. I am taking Operations, Macroeconomics, Management Writing, and Cases in Venture Financing at the Johnson School, and Health Care Finance Management at the College of Human Ecology. I also audited a few more courses at the Hotel School across the street from Sage Hall. It was tough to drop some of these courses to fit the 18 credit hour cap.

I look forward to the next nine months at the Johnson School. General Electric led off the corporate briefings on September 9th. We have had seventeen since then, including J. P. Morgan, Citi, American Express, Intel, Proctor and Gamble, Unilever, and Deloitte. My goals for this fall semester are: do well in recruiting, network with the 2-year classmates, learn business skills in the electives, and break 100 on the beautiful Robert T. Jones Golf Course.